Monday, August 24, 2015

If we love wilderness, should we not go there?

-->
“People who actually love untouched wilderness stay out of it.”

That was a comment on my last blog post shared on Facebook about the crowd alert on the Pacific Crest Trail. At first I took it as scolding me for going into the forest.

Then I thought that if no one goes there, what good is it. Quick answer to that came to mind: It’s good for the flora and fauna that lives there.

But then I thought that if no one goes there, who will know what flora and fauna lives there. Who will be the defenders of wilderness against those who would develop it for the resources there? And you know that those looking for new resources are going to go there poking and prodding for ways to turn wilderness green into another kind of green. They would “tear treasure out of the bowels of the land . . .with no more moral purpose at the back of it than there is in burglars breaking into a safe,” to quote Joseph Conrad in “Heart of Darkness.”

Finally, the thought came to me that this is just a noble sounding excuse to stay home and watch TV. So I loaded up the backpack and set off for the PCT again. Hardly untouched wilderness these days with the through hikers passing through (where the fires will let them), but still the great outdoors and I must go.

Whataya think?

No comments:

Post a Comment